Saturday, June 26, 2010

Saving money!

I just got done reading a great book called Saving Money Anyway You Can......Becoming a Frugal Family. This book was such a great read and although most of the things in there I already do, it did bring some new insight into a few things. For instance, to help save the environment along with saving lots of money is to always buy used. Go to garage sales, consignment shops, and best of all use freecycle. Most of this I already put into play and almost all of my kids clothes I buy used outside of the nice things that their grandparents will buy them. But this can go further than clothing, which is what I have never done. For instance we are really wanting to get new furniture someday......new leather furniture.......big ouch on our budget. I never really considered buying it used which is probably where it will eventually have to come from. Now all my kids furniture is used outside of our baby set which my parents bought us. Adriana's bedroom set came from my cousin's daughter. Andrew's bed is a Thomas the Train toddler bed which my mom bought him for his birthday off of Craigslist and his dresser is my sister's old baby dresser from her kids room. I think the hardest part of buying used would have to be a mattress. I'm not sure I can use someone else's used mattress.
It also had a lot of other good ideas on saving money but these had to do with being green and recycling all your old items and using recycled items. It is an older book so some things are really outdated but otherwise a good, easy read.

1 comment:

  1. I gotta say I'm almost becoming a pro at refinishing used furniture. Almost all the furniture in all the bedrooms we have is family pass me arounds except John and my mattress. That was a gift from my parents last year.

    We happened to come across a sale of "used" display furniture from a homebuilder that went bankrupt. I gotta say, that is the way to go! I sure wish I knew how to come across those kind of sales all the time.

    ReplyDelete